Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Riverside Cottage 5

On 7/24/2016 7:25 PM, Tim Lamb wrote:

This is chalet bungalow, Phil. The roof load goes on the outside walls
no question. I wondered why they ignored existing internal partition
walls when considering sizing the tie/joist supporting the bedroom floor.

I'd completely misunderstood before. I assumed these were first floor
partition walls, and you were worried about them taking part of the roof
load and transmitting that down on whatever the partition walls were
resting on.

If the tie/joist was undersized because it was resting on a partition
wall, what would happen when somebody decided to remove the wall? After
all, partition walls aren't supposed to be load bearing, so your
successor might decide to open things up a bit and go open plan.