Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is it safe to reuse pool filter's sand for sand box?

On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 04:57:50 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 10:36:57 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 18:41:11 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/23/2016 6:14 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 12:51:56 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

I think the problem is pool filter sand is probably not the right
grade for a sand box.

Maybe, but hard for me to imagine what difference any grade might make
to the process of filling a bucket with a plastic shovel.

The problem is if the sand is too fine a grade, it sticks to their
clothes and ends up being "dirt" when they track it inside.

I agree, the cat **** a sand box seems to collect is a lot more of a
health problem than heavily chlorinated filter sand.

The chlorine isn't going to hang around on that sand for long.

At least it starts clean.

Would it not have a bit of junk from the pool mixed in? Hair,dead skin,
any other flotsam from the pool.

I always assumed that was back washed away but I don't have a lot of
experience with sand filters.

Most of it is backwashed away, but there is always going to be some that's
left. Not that it matters, because any sand left outside is going to have
similar organic debris in it anyway.

I still doubt it would make good sand box sand but health issues would
not be my concern. If you ever spent any time around people in the
aggregate business you will hear sand is not just sand and there are
dozens of types.