Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Plasterboarding a wall

Tim+ wrote:
I've spent a couple of days removing manky old lath and plaster,
rewiring and replumbing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gw64fjiz7v...2013.jpeg?dl=1

My daughter was going to get a man in to plasterboard the wall and
build a new door frame for a new back door but having gone this far
I'd like to see it through myself.

I've not plasterboarded myself but can't see that it's gonna be too
hard, particularly if it gets a plaster coat on top.

Given that a) I might be working alone and b) the ceiling is 9ft high,
would I be best using 6x3ft sheets of PB?

Would I stagger the joins across wall using a 6 + 3 ft piece followed
by 3 + 6 ft piece?

For a kitchen/dining room (well away from sink & countertops) what
thickness and type of PB should I use?

Tim

If you are replacing the ceiling, pull this down and board it first, for
fire regs, it will need two sheets of 12.5mm. use 6x3's as 8x4 are too
heavy, also use 50mm screws so as to fix through both sheets.

for the walls, use 12.5mm for strength.

In all cases, make sure all the joists are denailed, even one old nail is
enough to make a complete ******** of the new boards, to do this, do one
joist at a time and then run the hammer along it's length and then be
surprised at how many you've missed.

Mark the centre of the ceiling joists on the walls with a pencil so that you
can see where to screw when plating, likewise, mark on the ceiling (after
it's boarded) where the wall joists are....you don't need to mark the floor
as you should raise the wall boards up an inch or two (skirtings will cover
this) this prevents damp/moisture from tracking up from the floor.

Don't leave any flapping edges, cut the boards to land in the centre of a
joist. Stagger the joints as best you can, but don't waste masses of
plasterboard in an attempt ot do so, there's always going to be one long
joint as you can't stagger them both ways. make sure the screw heads are
driven slightly below the surface of the PB but don't rag them straight
through or they will be doing nothing, set your screwdriver's torque to the
required setting and be prepared to adjust this accordingly as the power
drains out of it, have a spare battery on charge at all times