Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default 183000 new labour members/voters in 48hrs.

RJH wrote
John Rumm wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote

Yep, Massive increase in membership and funds and soon to be an
overwhelming vote of confidence in the leader. Clearly a party in it's
death throes.

It would be if the people who joined were not there to destroy the
party.

They aren't labour voters. All over what you would call 'the Right'
people are coughing up £25 to make sure Corbyn stays, because that will
destroy Labour.

You could always attend a meeting where Corbyn is speaking and judge the
caliber of his supporters there. You might learn something for once.

The question is then, how many grass roots labour people are there left
who still go in for things like nationalisation, unilateral disarmament,
state control, high taxes etc?

Enough to ensure that Corbyn remains leader.

Even that is unclear. It is unclear how many who chose to
vote are actually Labour Party members and how many are
deliberate spoilers who are nothing like Labour Party members.

I doubt there's enough to secure a Labour victory, though.

I know there isnt now that SNP has produced
almost no Labour MPs in Scotland anymore.

That would have to come from somewhere else.

And there is nowhere else for them to come from now.

Probably the 30% who don't vote,

Can't see that anything other than some complete
economic catastrophe like another Great Depression
or worse would actually get them to vote now.

the non-Labour left

Can't see them voting for Labour now even if we did
see another Blair who put one hell of a bomb under
Labour, just because of how badly that ended up.

and ironically, the UKIPs.

I just don’t believe that enough of them are natural
Labour voters to get Labour into govt again now
that the whole of Scotland has gone SNP.

In theory at least a Labour SNP coalition might in theory
be possible, but not with Corbyn, because hardly any MP
are actually silly enough to want renationalisation again
and there isnt any way of paying for the immense cost
of even renationalising the most important stuff like
electricity generation, water supply, railways and all
the privately operated toll roads etc and airports.

For the first time in along time, 2020 will involve people offered a menu
of tangible change and substantial issues, rather than nonsense like Big
Society, New Labour and austerity.

Maybe. I just don’t believe that May will **** up Brexit
badly enough to say end up with exactly what Britain had
before it left the EU and be out of the EU in name only.

I don’t believe that she will be stupid enough to agree to the
completely freedom of movement of EU citizens into Britain either.

And with Corbyn still the Labour leader and the massive ripping
of Labour to shreds so publicly that that will inevitably involve,
I can't see that enough of the voters will believe that if Labour
can't even get its act into gear in its own party that it is in any
position to be worth risking to run the whole country. Quite
apart from there being **** all that want renationalisation now.

(e.g. all the kind of stuff that featured heavily in Michael Foot's 1982
manifesto)

Not even I am going to present that as a marketing triumph :-) But that
election had a lot of context (Falklands, strong SDP etc), and at the end
of it all, Labour still managed almost 30% of the vote (and 40% of the
seats).

But it is less clear how many who did vote Labour then had
any expectation that Labour had any possibility of being the
govt and how many just could bring themselves to vote Tory
no matter how on the nose Labour was policy wise. Bet many
of those were rusted on Labour voters who would vote Labour
even if Foot had proposed the elimination of parliament and
a full communist state.