Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rocky 30 Trim Router - 3/8" Collet?

On 23 Jul 2016 06:45:00 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

wrote in :

On 22 Jul 2016 17:22:42 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I haven't seen a 3/8" router bit in stores and haven't looked
elsewhere. There's two very usable standard sizes, why throw in a
third?

You mean like 8mm?

Yes! Just because it's metric doesn't mean the darn thing has to have no
decimal point. (I realize 8mm is awful close to 5/16".) Make it 6.35mm
and be done with it.

Sorry, I meant to answer "why a third" with, "like 8mm?" 3/8" is a
forth. ;-)

You'll be able to find 3/8" tooling by looking at end mills, but
they're usually just straight. There's some with round ends,
"clipped" corners and a couple different configurations. An end mill
will cut wood just fine, I've done it.

Sounds like it would be worthwhile just for that.

Oh! I just remembered something important: Not all end mills can be
plunged into the work. Those that can are called "center cutting". Be
sure to look closely at the end before buying a whole bunch of them.
Generally, 2 flute EMs will be center cutting.

Wouldn't there have to be some sort of cutter over the end?