Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default EUSSR trade deal in trouble.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
John Rumm wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

I find it laughable just how naive so many are on here.
That they reckon the entire world is queueing up to be
nice to the UK in any deals.

I don't think anyone is under any delusion that
it will not take significant time and effort.

Oddly, despite following all the arguments fairly closely, the
time it might take to sort this mess out was largely ignored.

There is no mess to sort out when Britain is free to trade
under the WTO rules like the absolute vast bulk of the
trade done by all of the USA, Canada, Taiwan, India,
China, Korea, Australia, etc etc etc is done fine right now.

Yes, a free trade agreement is better than that, but
that is much more likely to be done more quickly
by a Britain outside the EU than with the EU itself,
essentially because any country in the EU can veto
a specific in an agreement being negotiated with
the EU and that is why there are **** all of those
with the EU with countrys that matter economically.

I'd be willing to bet many who voted leave
thought it would be reasonably quick.

Irrelevant, most of them don’t even realise that
Britain will be free to trade under the WTO rules
and can in fact stop charging dutys and tariffs
on stuff imported into Britain overnight if it
wants to instead of charging what the EU requires.

Not a generation down the lines.

More of your flagrant dishonesty with all of British trade.

However, if done right, there is no reason the final result can't
be as good or better than what the EU has achieved thus far.

But that might depend on just how well
this country survives in the interim.

It will survive fine when it is free to not charge any duty or
tariff on what it imports that the EU currently mandates it
charges duty or tariffs on. Clearly the absolute vast bulk
of what Britain still exports like aircraft engines and
docos and drama will still be exported fine.

Yes, a few manufacturers who have chosen to manufacture in
Britain because it is part of the EU may well chose to move their
manufacturing to some other place in the EU once Britain leaves,
but there isnt enough of that to bring the British economy undone.

We won't know for some time just how many
industries etc will survive once outside the EU.

But we do know that the most important ones like aircraft engines
and Airbus wings and docos and drama in english will do fine.

And that plenty of other stuff like large chunks of the car
manufacturing industry and the absolute vast bulk of the
manufacture of most consumer goods has moved out of
Britain even with Britain in the EU for various reasons.

And that ALL manufacturing is only a very small
part of any modern first world economy as well.

The key point is there is no point wasting time and energy
worrying about all the reasons we can't achieve the results
the nation needs, when it would be far more productive
working out the best way to actually go out and get them.

Pity you didn't tell the politicians that years
ago - when the referendum was first envisaged.

They wouldn’t have listened. The referendum was only ever
proposed in an attempt to shut a minority of Torys who have
always wanted to leave the EU up when it was expected that
the result would be to stay in the EU. Cameron would never
have had a referendum if he believed that there was any
possibility of the result being that the majority who voted
would vote to leave.

So, there are not enough negotiators? Work out how to fix the
problem, how to recruit experienced negotiators from the private
sector - people with years of experience of international negotiations.

That might be fine if they existed.

Of course they exist.

Just what jobs were they doing before?

Working for the EU doing those trade negotiations.

Start training the brightest and the best selected from the
ranks of the civil service. Start making use of our remaining
links to the commonwealth, and former colonies. Behave
like an entrepreneurial outward looking nation again.

Heh heh. Will need quite a turnround to start training our own people
for the jobs which are actually needed. And anticipating things.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Something no UK government is much good at.

Does it just as well as any other govt does.

Making do and mend being more usual.

Just like with all governments. Look at what happened
after the war which produce the Marshall Plan, NATO
and the UN.