Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default Plasterboarding a wall

Tim+ Wrote in message:
jim k wrote:
Tim+ Wrote in message:
I've spent a couple of days removing manky old lath and plaster, rewiring
and replumbing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gw64fjiz7v...2013.jpeg?dl=1

My daughter was going to get a man in to plasterboard the wall and build a
new door frame for a new back door but having gone this far I'd like to see
it through myself.

I've not plasterboarded myself but can't see that it's gonna be too hard,
particularly if it gets a plaster coat on top.

Given that a) I might be working alone and b) the ceiling is 9ft high,
would I be best using 6x3ft sheets of PB?

Would I stagger the joins across wall using a 6 + 3 ft piece followed by 3
+ 6 ft piece?

For a kitchen/dining room (well away from sink & countertops) what
thickness and type of PB should I use?

Tim

You could use 6x3s but I'd bite the bullet and go for 8x4s of
12.5mm if you can handle/transport them.

Well I have no illusions as to my upper body strength. I have distance
runner's arms. ;-) Also, when it comes to transporting building materials
I've discovered that a Jaguar XF is absolute pants so it'll be getting
delivered.

Name drop noted.

Less joints, and as long
as your studwork is good, less potential for an undulating
"patchwork" which makes a skim much harder to do.

Warning noted.

Whichever size yes you need to stagger joints.

Okay.

I like taper edge to hide the scrim reinforcement. You may be
lucky to find 6x3s with taper edge...

I thought taper edged stuff was for walls that you're not going to skim?

Probly was designed for that but in "norma"l 8ft houses the lack
of taper on the short ends doesn't bother anyone :-)

It looks like B&Q do it though. What do you do about the horizontal joints
with regards to scrim?

Same as verticals ;-) without the taper...

Or use 8x4s horizontally? Save the small ~foot piece for the top...
Then a 2ft x 9ft hole to fill with the leftovers?

What area we talking about?

Basically what you see in the photo.

Didn't look

About 10 x 9 ft.

3 sheets 8x4? Friend with decent car w roof rack, dry day?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/