Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What stainless might be in a catalytic oven

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 20:49:03 -0500, Ignoramus20626

On 2016-07-21, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 08:37:15 -0700, wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 10:11:20 -0500, Ignoramus22707
wrote:

I just got paid money to dismantle and take home a huge old catalytic
oven. It was burning off something and then cleaning the smoke with
titanium dioxide catalyst pellets.

Inside of it there are heavy grates made of 1/4" strips of metal. The
grates were supporting the mass of pellets.

They are not magnetic but I wonder if they are regular stainless or
maybe some other grade of stainless to survive high temperature. They
have a reddish or golden hue to them.

They could also be a high nickle alloy or one of the refractory
alloys.

Thats what Id be betting my money on.

Is there some way to identify inconel without xrf gun, contrasting it
with stainless?

Say, if I expose it to a acetylene torch with oxidizing flame, and
sprinkle salt on top, would the results be any different with an
inconel sample compared to a stainless sample? Any other simple tests
that you can think of ?

Inconel isnt magnetic. Neither is Waspalloy nor Hastealloy

Hastalloy is the highest temp materials IRRC...something like 2200F
without corrosion

---