Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default EUSSR trade deal in trouble.

wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 13:54:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I find it laughable just how naive so many are on here. That they reckon
the entire world is queueing up to be nice to the UK in any deals.

I don't recall anyone saying that. It's just in everyone's interest to
trade internationally, so there is a desire to do so.

A concern could be the attitude of the USA and its habit of wishing to
control things beyond its borders to the benefit of itself and the
detriment of others.
As an example if say the UK got a favourable trade deal with China but
the South China sea dispute between the USA and China escalates to
the extent the US wishes to impose sanctions or declares China a new
axis of evil.
It would be quite hard for the UK to ignore the US if it threatened
any country trading with China also had trade sanctions applied
against it, A good part of our defence equipment supply is intertwined
with theirs and not getting say warplanes delivered could make things
awkward as would lack of spares etc for Boeing Airliners operated by
British operators.

The UK may find itself escaping from the influence of Brussels but
having to jump to Washingtons orders.

Trouble with that line is that that applys already with the yanks and
sanctions. And did happen with Iraq after the first Gulf War. But it is
quite likely that Britain would agree with the sanctions, like it did
with Iraq.

Just because the Yanks speak English doesn't automatically mean they
are friendly , they always look after their interests first and don't
worry who they trample over on the way.

And yet they bailed out europe, TWICE, when they didn't have to.