Posted to alt.home.repair
bob_villain bob_villain is offline

Default Oxygen concentrator sound level

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 8:57:25 PM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 16:51:12 -0700 (PDT), bob_villain wrote:

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 6:40:46 PM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 16:08:54 -0700 (PDT), bob_villain wrote:

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 5:33:46 PM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:
We now have an oxygen concentrator in our house and it is noisy. What have any of you seen or done to reduce the sound output
from one of these machines?

www.invacare.com/Platinum_10_Concentrator

Thanks.

We had these in a nursing facility, ask kindly for another unit. They become more noisy after they have been worked-on and their aging process. New ones are definitely quieter. I'm assuming this is a rental unit?
If you bought it, you can put a longer tube/extension, and put it in another room. You shouldn't enclose it.

Yes, it's a rental unit. It has a 50 foot hose on it and it's down the hall and in the family room about 40 feet away, but
it's a lot noisier than a mouse ****in' on a blotter. :-(

They have a compressor in them and can become noisy...I would ask for another unit, preferably, newer.

I originally had a 5 liter unit, with about 29,000 hours, and the Homefill II companion. When I complained about the lengthy
time required to fill the tanks I was given the 10 liter unit that had about 1500 hours on the clock. It was noticeably
quieter but still not what I would classify as quiet.

I was told the Homefill II system required a minimum of 2 LPM to fill the tanks and could use up to 3 LPM. With my need of 3
LPM that put the Homefill II system getting only the minimum for oxygen.

I was hoping there was some sort of sound absorbing material that could be placed near the unit, not encapsulating it, to
help reduce the noise.

Alf, is this a sleeping issue? Have you tried 3M ear plugs?