Posted to alt.home.repair
Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney is offline

Default Washer/Dryer reviews?

"Nil" wrote in message ...
On 22 Jul 2016, Cindy Hamilton wrote
in alt.home.repair:

We bought from one 20 miles away, over the telephone. They
delivered.

That's a good thought. I suppose there's not much to be gained by
actually seeing an appliance like that, since the specs are all
available online. I don't much care what it looks like.

Nil,

If you like your 36 yr old, you might check to see what it would cost to refurbish it. I bought a GE washer 1994 that was great -- regular agitator (some don't have them now), water returns to the tub into the center filter which removed the link, drain flow was standard at the time (slow enough for the existing old standpipe.) Also had the minibasket which wife liked.

Around 2008 it developed a leak in a transmission seal. Cost to repair including labor would have been $200-300. New GE washer was around $400-500 so went with the new one.

Have never be happy with new washer. Does not clean well, super high and noisy spin, shakes the house, twists and wrinkles clothes, no lint filter, on and on.... Wife liked the stylish look, color and the fact it had buttons instead of knobs so we kept it. Got worse and worse. Now

Buttons means circuit boards and connections.... not good on a mechanical item that shakes like crazy. Mechanical parts are easy to replace and a lot more sturdy and cheaper than electronics.

Long story.....

I still have the old washer in the garage, but the transmission is no longer available. Will look at replacing the seal when I have time and unloading the "new improved" model at a garage sale for $1 as is where is good luck don't come back.