Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default Cutting the cord

On 22/07/16 22:13, wrote:
On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 12:33:21 PM UTC-4, The Voice wrote:

The individual product reports are easy to find online, if you're shopping.

Yup. No reason to make judgment based on brand or high price.

When I was in college ,some friends and I found that one should either buy Sears Best or Sears Worst. Sears Best if you expected to use it a lot, and Sears Worse if it was likely a one time thing.

Then Sears was about the only place to buy tool at reasonable prices.

Dan

What vintage was that? My dad and I found in the early/mid 1970s that
buying Sears stuff was not a good idea as too many parts were non
standard and when they failed you either couldn't get the parts or the
replacement part price was as much as a whole new tool. A scroll saw
bought one year needed 4.5" blades and the next year Sears didn't sell
them and no one else did either as the standard was 5", easily fixed
with a 0.5" spacer but a minor PITA. The killer that put my dad off
buying from Sears was a hand drill where the 3 jaw chuck failed and the
replacement cost as much as a new drill, the mounting thread was non
standard for the chuck size so Sears was the only source. Maybe thing
have changed.