Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Framing Lumber

On Thursday, July 21, 2016 at 4:25:54 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 09:10:45 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

Actually in the South studs are also commonly made from SYP, Southern
Yellow Pine. Not the common P that is some times used in Spruce, Pine, Fir.

Typically SYP is a much harder and heavier wood.

It's quite a nice wood, actually. I've seen century old SYP floors
that were still serviceable.

At Monticello, two plus centuries. It's not clear whether the modern
trees and their lumber are the same, though. The environs of Monticello,
last I saw, were planted with other tree species.