Jim Adney

Default Why Won't a Frozen Battery Start a Vehicle.

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:23:22 -0600 "Steve Nosko"
wrote:

With all due respect to someone who's probably been there and done that,
this technique is a balance of battery capacity against the heating effect.
The connections and conductors inside the battery are designed to be very
low resistance and therefore have a very low IR drop and low resulting I
squared R loss - aka heat. The chemical reaction which produces the current
is not exothermic - it does not generate heat. So the hear so generated is
quite minimal.

I agree completely. I think the "headlights on" recommendation is pure
rural legend and most likely counterproductive.

I won't claim to have faced ND winters, but Wis winters can certainly
be bad enough, and I've started my car in more than my share of -20F,
or lower, temps.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA