Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is it safe to reuse pool filter's sand for sand box?

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 12:00:49 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

poolguy writes:

replying to larry, poolguy wrote:
I'm changing sand in pool today. I will not use the old sand from pool to put
in my Grand Kids sand box. I will throw away the old sand and buy new play
sand for our Grand kids sand box. 100 bucks worth of sand for sandbox cost
less than Doctor bills and nothing can replace a broken heart if the old pool
sand was to harm them. I love them too much to take a chance on it.

Reply to post from 2006?

Poolguy, I beg to differ. That sand was clean enough that someone was
swimming in the pool. Pool water definitely gets ingested.
It's not a matter of cost. How do you put that sand into the trash.
The sandbox is as good a place as any to dispose of the sand.
There is zero chance of that very clean sand from the filter harming
anyone. You do know that birds fly over sandboxes don't you?

I used to change the sand in my filter every 2 years.
A task that is not that easy.
I'm still trying to figure out how that sand could wear out.
Haven't changed the sand now for 4 years, no problems yet.

I think the problem is pool filter sand is probably not the right
grade for a sand box. I agree, the cat **** a sand box seems to
collect is a lot more of a health problem than heavily chlorinated
filter sand.

I suppose the OP's great grand kids will be using it soon tho.