Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
The Voice The Voice is offline

Default Cutting the cord

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 08:20:37 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Junky tools don't last long on the market.

Clearly there's a market for very low cost stuff that is sometimes
very bad. I don't fault folks for buying cheap. After all, a large
proportion of tools are bought as gifts and/or destined to live in
closets. I'm reminded of that every time I see an ad for a 100 piece
set of router bits. I have lots of stuff that others would
consider junk, but it's fine for the few times I need it. I've
misjudged occasionally both ways, buying better than I needed, and
buying too cheap for use that turned out to more than expected. One
example, an $80 SDS hammer drill. Didn't think I'd use it enough to
wear it out, but I was wrong. Bought a second one only slightly
better, still miles ahead of buying a brand name model considering my
limited use.

So, if you stick with reputable brands, and if you aren't looking for industrial-type performance,
it's hard to go wrong.

An anecdote: I have a Bosch miter saw. Paid a lot because it was
something I use more than most, but nowhere near as much as a
professional does. People nod approvingly, fine German craftsmanship.
Nope. It's an overpriced but better quality import, and that's all.
Lots of features, some aggravatingly non-intuitive. When it quit, a
**** brush connection was at fault. I patched it up, and the only
reason it's lasting is that it isn't being used every day. That event
and many others have taught me not to be brand loyal, and to accept
that spending a lot doesn't guarantee good quality or good design.

The individual product reports are easy to find online, if you're shopping.

Yup. No reason to make judgment based on brand or high price.