Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Rocky 30 Trim Router - 3/8" Collet?

My Rocky 30 Trim Router kit arrived yesterday. MLCS SKU 9060. It's not
yet viewable on their website, but the SKU can be ordered on the Quick
order page.

It's my first trim router, so I don't have anything to compare it to,
but it seems like a nice little unit.

I wish it came with some sort of carrying case, but I guess I'll have
to pick one up at HF or HD. There's no LED or micro-adjust, but at
under $100 for the router and plunge base, I'm not complaining.

I did a quick round-over on a short piece of 1 x 6 and it was nice to
be able to use one hand for the router and one hand to hold the board.
The plunge base seems to work, but I haven't really tested it yet.

Here's my question:

In with the accessories was a 3/8" collet. As shown in the link below,
the 3/8" collet (on the left) is just a conical sleeve with a single slot.
The more standard 1/4" four-slot collet is on the right.

https://imgur.com/Y36uHMM

I was not aware that router bits came with 3/8" shanks, so I called
MLCS. When I asked about the 3/8" collet, the tech support guy said:

"Yeah, they throw that in at the factory. You won't get much use out of
it since there aren't too many 3/8" shank routers bits available."

Is that true? Obviously the larger the shank the better, so I wouldn't
mind springing for a couple of 3/8" shank bits if they were available. On
the other hand, the fact that the 3/8" collet is much more "basic" than
a standard four-slot router collet, it almost seems like it's not meant
to be used full time.

Your thoughts and opinions are most welcome.