Posted to rec.woodworking
John McCoy John McCoy is offline

Default Framing Lumber

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:aM-dnXEPNo7RYA3KnZ2dnUU7-
:

Do you see much SYP in Florida? I was reading about a majority of
homes built years ago in southern Louisiana that don't have a big issue
with termites, apparently they are not interested in SYP. SPF was an
entirely different story however. I was wondering if Florida may have
witnessed the same.

It's not much used for home building now, because of the
hurricane code and other reasons. Almost everything is
block now. With SPF for interior framing and roof trusses
and stuff like that.

There was a time when it was the norm. The old growth pine,
especially the varietal called Dade County Pine, was too
hard for termites to eat (or carpenters to drive nails into,
in some cases), and resisted rot, too. Modern development
has pretty much eliminated those old houses in south Fla,
but they're still to be found upstate.

John