Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What stainless might be in a catalytic oven

On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 10:11:20 -0500, Ignoramus22707
wrote:

I just got paid money to dismantle and take home a huge old catalytic
oven. It was burning off something and then cleaning the smoke with
titanium dioxide catalyst pellets.

Inside of it there are heavy grates made of 1/4" strips of metal. The
grates were supporting the mass of pellets.

They are not magnetic but I wonder if they are regular stainless or
maybe some other grade of stainless to survive high temperature. They
have a reddish or golden hue to them.

They could also be a high nickle alloy or one of the refractory
alloys.