Posted to alt.home.repair
Nil[_3_] Nil[_3_] is offline

Default Washer/Dryer reviews?

I'm in the market for a new clothes washer and dryer to replace my
ancient and ailing 36-year-old Hotpoints. I want mechanically simple
machines, top-loader washer, medium capacity. I prefer mechanical
controls vs. digital. They live in the basement, so cosmetics is not
important. I'd like to keep the price below $700 per unit.

I wonder if anyone has gone through this exercise in the past couple of
years and has any comments to make on brands or features to consider or
avoid? For example, the kid at Sears made it sound like stainless steel
drums in the washer is an advantage. I see some dryers have a "steam"
option that supposedly takes wrinkles out of clothes. Doesn't sound
like a feature I'd use much. I notice that most washers, except the
very cheapest models, lack the tall center agitator. Not sure what
that's all about, but I assume they clean as well as the old style. I
read some comments saying that GE washers make a lot of noise and LG
are not very reliable.

So, any of you consumers have a report to share?