Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend[_7_] Karl Townsend[_7_] is offline

Default Cutting the cord

On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 18:55:36 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 08:59:10 -0500, Ignoramus12525
wrote:

Very nice article. I also find myself using battery powered tools more
and more. Beats running extension cords for every little thing. I have
a battery powered angle grinder, impact wrench, drill etc. For one or
two cuts or unscrewing a couple of nuts, they are indispensable.

Yeah, guys with smaller jobs would like battery powered tools more.

The angle grinders and circular saws are the hardest on the batteries.
You can hear the RPMs start dropping after about a minute of use. I'd
-never- buy a cordless 9" grinder. For the really tough work, you
have to have a cord. (Or LOTS of batteries and the patience to
constantly swap 'em between the chargers and tool.) The 36v are
probably the way to go if you don't want a cord and have larger jobs.

I can maybe one up that, the battery power chain saw.

Even though the saw is laid out like a log cutter instead of a tree
trimmer saw, I REALLY LIKE IT for quick pruning of one or two apple
tree branches at a time. No farting around starting up a gas saw, no
need to drag out the hydraulic lines for a hydraulic orbital saw.

It is VERY HARD on batteries. I hope it lasts a year at $350 a pop.