Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark Zacharias[_3_] Mark Zacharias[_3_] is offline

Default Sony CRT TV not switching on

"Bruce Esquibel" wrote in message

Why Sony has done this? Is this to force customers to move to LCD TVs?

That's the easiest explanation to keep the conversation short.

In reality, in my opinion anyway, I really doubt most tv's after the early
1990's just were not made to be repaired.

I remember somewhere in that time frame ordering a schematic for a recent
Zenith tv and just getting a 10 page "leaflet", with almost no
information.
It had block diagrams in gray and white shading. Basically if the fault
was
in one of the gray shaded areas, you replaced the whole module, not parts.

So even if you knew it was IC401 of the 201-778 module, you couldn't order
just the IC401. Once the tv's that used that module were out of
production,
that pretty much spelled the end of repairing it.
-bruce

snip

My shop was servicing crt sets to component level up until 2005 or so; and
even a few since. Sony and Pioneer provided complete schematics and training
materials for all of their crt-based sets to authorized service centers. So
did Thomson. (GE and RCA - ugh)

And although we did not regularly service Toshiba, Hitachi, etc, we were
able to get service data when we needed it.

Zenith did take the opposite view, and used mostly non-serviceable modules.

Mark Z.