Posted to sci.electronics.repair
amdx[_3_] amdx[_3_] is offline

Default Need Recharge education

I have 13 chest type freezers, a couple of upright freezers and a two
Ice Machines having to do with my business.
The freezers are not always in use, so are shut off until needed.
I have one or two that will leak out if the are shutoff, so we no
long shut them off, we either leave them on when empty or move items in
from another freezer that we can shut off.

Question one)

Explain to my why the freezer will leak refrigerant when it is off but
not on.

Question two)

Sometimes when I go to restart a freezer after it is off for a few
weeks or month, it does not want to start. The breaker in the compressor
just keeps cycling. Usually after enough time passes It finally starts
and will run fine from then on. Why?

Question three)

I would like to get enough education to be able to add
refrigerant when a freezer needs it. The electrical part I have a good
handle on, I have gauges and have no problem installing a Piercing type
Shrader Valve.
I need to know how to decide if a problem is caused by low
refrigerant, I'm not one to just do something because that's what I
know, I want to troubleshoot and come to a logical conclusion.

Has anyone seen a good video that helped or a book that is
focused on home freezer?

Help is appreciated.

I have a brother in law that does refrigeration and he usually fixes
things when needed. He never charges me enough and I don't like to
have him do it because of that.

Mikek