Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] ohger1s@gmail.com is offline

Default Sony CRT TV not switching on

On Monday, July 18, 2016 at 1:29:54 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, July 15, 2016 at 11:14:21 PM UTC+5:30, wrote:
I have got a Sony Wega Flat CRT TV €“ KV-AR21M83. One day its picture gone bad. Before this it never gave problem. Its picture started to give disturbance, coloration problem, colour bleeding and also sometimes gave noise. So, I stopped using the TV but occasionally I switched it on to see its situation. I called a technician from Sony but he told that he does not know that where the fault is and Ill have to take it to service centre but I did not take it. One day I again switched it on but suddenly the disturbance increased. So I got frightened and turned it off. When I again switched it on the TV started to operate normally. But another problem came up. Whenever I switched on the TV and before the picture came on the screen, the TV displayed a green colour glow and also green coloured horizontal lines on the screen appeared for about 2 seconds and then vanished. The lines were not completely perpendicular. The lines were somewhat slanting, raised from the right side. The picture itself was fine but maybe with somewhat reduced colour accuracy. I felt it so. I could be wrong. Anyways, I used the TV for 1 - 2 months and then closed and covered it as I was using another TV.

After few months, I needed to use this TV again. So I switched it on. But the TV did not switch on. This was very much unexpected. Only the LED light on the TV blinks 8 times in red. I searched to see that do these blinks indicate something. I found out that 8 blinks as in my case indicates problem with audio IC IC406. But there was no audio problem in this TV. Only picture had issues.

So, what exactly has gone wrong in the TV? Is it the same component which is responsible for TV not switching on and the earlier picture problems?

I hope that nothing has happened to the picture tube as it is not replaceable. But If the fault does exist in some component of the picture tube then is that component replaceable / repairable or not?

Please Help. I am a novice.

UPDATE: I called a technician who has earlier fixed my other Sony TV. I did not tell technician about the earlier problems and neither the tech asked about it. When the technician opened the TV, he tested components on the PCB using multi meter. The technician felt that it could be due to moisture.. So he tried to remove moisture but this did not help. So, it was not due to moisture. Infact there was no moisture inside the TV. Then he told me that its IC called function IC has damaged but that one is unavailable. But the tech told that he will get it from somewhere. After few days the technician told me that he asked someone about the blinks and came to know that it was due some other IC. Not the one he earlier told me. This means this technician who repairs TV never encountered this problem and could not correctly diagnose the fault. its strange. Anyways, he assured that he will come back after few days and will repair it. But he didn't turn up. I tried to contact him but he even refused to communicate. Maybe he did not get the part or he is unsure of the fault the TV has got.

The I asked at a TV repair shop. The person at the shop asked me that whether before the TV stopped working did it start giving green colour. I told him - Yes, green coloured line during statup for 2-3 second just before picture appeared. He told me it seems that its Extra High Tension Transformer has damaged. The transformer provides high voltage to the picture tube. To confirm, it took the TV to the shop. The person checked it using multi meter and confirmed that its EHT transformer has indeed damaged while the picture tube is fine. But even this transformer is no more available.

So, one technician told that its IC has damaged while another one told me its EHT transformer has damaged. Who is correct?

The symptoms - Disturbance in picture, later a fine picture but green glow and green raster line for 2-3 seconds during starup, then later on TV not starting up and blinking red light. These symtoms indicate an IC or Transformer failure? Please help.

Not sure how or why the tech thought the EHT/Flyback would give a green picture before failing. I fixed thousands of those and never saw that happen.

Anyway, the smart money is on Jurb's guess. The CRT has some leakage and arcing causing the AKB circuit to have some fits. Eventually, the IC on the CRT socket board shorted out (not uncommon) and taking out the supply from the main board. If you replace the IC and resistor (IIRC), the TV will run until the new IC gets whacked again. Sony had a bulletin that would improve the life of the IC by adding a diode across an inductor on the CRT socket board, but that won't help a visually leaky CRT.

And while I agree that it's time to move on with regards to this particular Sony, anyone who thinks moving to a new TV will stop the bleeding is mistaken..