Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dishwashered mixer parts - now discoloured

On 18/07/16 14:40, newshound wrote:
On 7/18/2016 2:28 PM, Tim+ wrote:
GB wrote:
On 18/07/16 12:57, GB wrote:
We have a very old Kenwood mixer, with aluminium beaters. We
unfortunately put them in the dishwasher, and they are now covered
in a
soft black deposit. What's the best way to get that off and if
possible
restore the finish?
AlO2?
possibly strong caustic, better an acid of some sort...
vinegar/lemon juice rhubarb or maybe a de-scaler?

I tried vinegar, but that had no effect.

The black stuff does come off with a scourer, but now that the original
shiny finish has gone, it discolours very easily.

Maybe time to try a spot of DIY anodising or find a firm that'll do
it, or,
look out for a replacement on eBay?

Tim

Are we talking about the K beater or the whisk, I wonder?

The K beater is a casting, I'm not sure what sort of alloy. Perhaps it's
not actually aluminium.

Mezac.

Of course. Pot metal. Zinc alloy.

The way to get the polish back might be to polish it with a reasonably
powerful buffing wheel and a standard polishing compound. You might be
able to use a dremel on the inside surfaces. It all depends on how
pitted the surface has become as to how long it would take.

I'm pretty sure my K beater survives a dishwasher.

--
€œBut what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!€

Mary Wollstonecraft