Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Doubled up 9.5mm PB vs 12.5mm PB

On 18/07/16 14:52, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 18/07/2016 13:22, Tim Watts wrote:
This is plasterboard ---

Is there any downside to using 2 sheets of 9.5mm on studwork walls (will
be skimmed) vs 1 sheet of 12.5mm?

I have relatively little wall to cover compared to ceilings and it would
simplify ordering and storing to work with one type.

And I could overlap all joints in the 1st sheet which seems like a bonus.

Just wondered if there were any major downsides?

I thought everything was done in 12.5 these days?
More rigidity in the ceiling and greater fire resistance?

The builders in ours at the moment are certainly using 12.5 on the ceilings.

Possibly the reverse of what I'm doing - standard sheet thickness all
through which makes sense for them.

This is lining the underside of the roof, so fire proofing is not an
issue (not separating rooms). I really wanted to keep the weight down as
well over the roof area (there's a *lot* of m2, adds up).

My walls however are very few m2 (dormer, with windows) so the extra
weight of 2x9.5 is not going to be very noticeable.

Cheers - Pete