Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT Amazing salvage project.

On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 10:33:11 +0100, GB
wrote:

snip

Thanks. I don't think I'd want to be within a few hundred metres of that
arrangement!

They used a similar system to cut the exit door (for H&S reasons) in
the bottom of the Secret Nuclear Bunker at Kelvedon Hatch.

They have to thread it under the wreck somehow?

In this case of this 10' thick reinforced concrete bunker wall, they
drilled holes through the wall at the top and bottom of where they
wanted one side of the cut to be and threaded a coated wire though and
back and around a driving wheel of one sort (there may have been an
idler pulley on the other side to start with). The wire was then
circulated till it cut though (or something like that).

The cut finish feels is very smooth (but not flat) and it's
interesting to see how accurately arranged the reinforcing rods were
and how consistent the concrete mix was. I understand it was also
'poured' in a continuous process so there were no 'joints' that could
possibly weaken the structu

You can see the 'Exit door' at 9:10 here and the pattern on the walls
where the wire 'cutter' ran. [1]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnCXMp7O3xo

Cheers, T i m

[1] I think he said the Company cutting the hole quoted for some 2
weeks of work and it took more like 8! ;-)