Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob notbob is offline

Default New Homelite Trimmer Won't Start

On 2016-07-17, tickedoff wrote:

replying to Ed Pawlowski, tickedoff wrote:
seriously , they only last a few hours. are you talking about an electric
one. mine is hardly ever used also and it just stopped just like that.

I jes went thru this particular nightmare. Our HOA has six gas
trimmers. All dead except a Stihl, which still runs, but the line
feed is broken and so line must be pulled out by hand.

I got my hands on a Poulan. I bought a new spark plug and it still
wouldn't start. Tried new gas (non-ethanol) and oil. Nada. Finally
resorted to a squirt of ether. Damn thing finally fired and ran.

These engines (31cc) are so narrowly tuned, they shouldn't be messed
with. Jes taking the cover off the filter leand the engine out of
running range, so hadda shoot a shot of ether, replace the filter
cover, and hope I did it fast enough to the start engine. At least
the bump line feed on the Poulan actually worked, despite having to
really "bump" it on a rock or hard ground.

Having gone through enough of these junky gas trimmers, I think I'd
prefer an old fashion Grass Whip.

nb