Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default LM317 Votage Regulator Instability?

On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 16:03:11 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

Yeah, I've replaced this one with the 60V variant just to be on the safe
side as my first choice was too near the supply rail for comfort. I'd
obviously partly damaged the old one with my prodding around under power
and the cap probably partially discharged through it.
So the 10 shilling postal order and box of After Eight mints goes to....
Jeff Liebermann! :-)

The logic was easy. You had already done most of the obvious
troubleshooting (increase load, add capacitors, check currents). There
was only one active device capable of causing a problem. All that was
necessary was to contrive a reasonable explanation and failure
mechanism. The near maximum voltage was an obvious problem and
blowing it up by shorting the input or output to ground was quite
likely. As Sherlock Holmes may have said:
Once you eliminate the impossible, ridiculous, absurd,
and disgusting, whatever remains, no matter how improbable,
must be what's wrong.

Thanks, but no gratuities needed. Besides, the body mechanic says
that I shouldn't eat chocolate. Sigh.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D