Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jones[_3_] Jones[_3_] is offline

Default Sort of OT 3G wireless

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 04:02:17 -0700 (PDT), Adam Aglionby wrote:

I thought a cell phone signal was different to a 3G

It's all digits, I think there is a basic data link at whateever speed
can be attained over which data, SMS, phone calls are carried.

Not with 3G, that showed up with 4G.

you want the Giffgaff `Always On` goody bag, unlimited data, traffic
shaped after 6Gb , for 20 quid a month , PAYG.

But giffgaff are on O2 and O2's coverage can be a bit poor. They are
only 2G here, all the others 3G and EE 4G.

The big gotcha with many tarrifs is "no tethering" ie the data use is
for the device with the SIM only. The networks can tell to a limited
extent as well. TPO don't spot my tablet via the phones WiFi but if I
connect the home LAN they do in a few tens of minutes.

It might be worth a look at Asda Mobile, EE (but 3G only), allow
tethering, have data only plans. Still worth doing the maths on p/MB
though if you know how much data you are likely to need. Their
cheapest data is a normal bundle, 6 GB Data, Unlimited Mins and Texts
for £20 - 0.3255 p/MB, the biggest data only is 4 GB for £15.00 -
0.3662 p/MB.