Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Cursitor Doom[_4_] Cursitor Doom[_4_] is offline

Default LM317 Votage Regulator Instability?

On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 11:09:04 +0000, Bruce Esquibel wrote:

I know the 317 is probably the most common regulator used but just isn't
the best choice in some cases, like this one. Cost I'd guess is the best
reason to use them.

Yeah, I've replaced this one with the 60V variant just to be on the safe
side as my first choice was too near the supply rail for comfort. I'd
obviously partly damaged the old one with my prodding around under power
and the cap probably partially discharged through it.
So the 10 shilling postal order and box of After Eight mints goes to....
Jeff Liebermann! :-)