Posted to alt.home.repair
Micky[_3_] Micky[_3_] is offline

Default Switch a switch with wet hands

On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 13:00:04 -0500, Bill Gill
wrote:

On 7/14/2016 1:33 PM, Micky wrote:
I've gotten one 2000v
shock from a color TV and I was being very careful and didn't notice
touching anything else, but I think I must have.

2,000V or 20,000V? You don't have to have much contact to get a
shock from 20,000V. Fortunately the 20,000V in a doesn't have much
current capability.

Just 2000 volts or so. It was limited too, or I moved too quick to
get a long dose.

I'm sure it wasn't the picture tube supply. I was nowhere near that,
and I think it would have felt even stronger. But even though I was
being very careful, it must be that my hand moved and touched
something on the main chassis or board, I forget how old it was.

It "knocked me across the room" and I dislocated my shoulder, which
hadn't been out of its socket for 11 years. After that, the shoulder
came out twice and then 3 times a week. I had surgery about 6 months
later, and it hasn't been out since. Though I can't quite get my arm
straight up, or hold my hands behind my back now.

My bad shoulders were the major reason I wasn't drafted, but I didn't
avoid surgery so as not to be drafted. I really didn't want it. I'm
reluctant to have people cut into me. And I had a summer job where
I worked hard, putting down rebar and rebar supports for an xway, and
the shoulders stopped dislocating after that. The other one hasn't
been out since that summer job, except once 20 years ago when it was
really forced out, and it sprang right back in.

The story I head in the 70's was that if a shoulder came out 3 times,
you were doomed and had to have surgery, but the left was out 4 times
already, and the right 8 or 10, before that summer job. (I read my
brother's orthopedics book on how to put the shoulder back in. A lot
of people do it wrong, including the swim coach who I let do it wrong,
shame on me -- I suspect that's still true. Customs die hard. -- and
may cause more damage. And I would stop someone on the street to ask
him to put it in for me, and tell him how. But eventually I got
control and could put it in myself using the muscles in the bad arm
itself, and my other hand.) A lot of people say it's the most pain
they've ever felt, but it didn't really hurt that much for me. I think
that's related to how easily they came out in the first place, sort
of.

And that summer job made them both stable. Even the right one
woudln't have needed surgery were it not for that tv.

"Knocked" in quotes because I don't know for sure if the shock made my
legs push me, or if I did it myself out of fear. Since the shock was
applied through my hand, I don't see how it would know about my legs,
so I must not have been knocked anywhere. I just jumped back with
more force than I normally use.

Bill