Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Freezer question

On Friday, July 15, 2016 at 8:59:56 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 1:04:58 PM UTC-4, Doug Miller wrote:

"Behind the light assembly"?? Are you trying to do this *inside* the freezer? The "back
plate" is on the *back* of the unit, i.e. on the outside.

Well that explains why it wasn't easy to take that plate off. I wonder what that inside plate reveals?

Most likely you will find insulation, internal duct work and some wires.

I can't easily get at the back of this fridge. It is recessed in an enclosure in our kitchen. I would have to roll it out. Then there is the hoses attached for the ice machine and water.

Think about this logically:

Do you think that they removed the kitchen wall behind the fridge in order to
install the water lines? Odds are that there is enough slack in the water lines
and power cord for the unit to be pulled out of the enclosure. I would suggest
shutting off the water before you roll the unit out just in case things go
terribly wrong.

I wonder how one repairman deals with this.

See my comments above.

I think I remember two guys moving that fridge when it was installed. I guess it's on wheels but it's still pretty big and heave and there is no way to get at the sides because it is sitting tightly in this enclosure.

On the units I've dealt with, there are 4 rollers, 2 in front and 2 in the
rear. There are also 2 "leveling legs" in the front. The legs are spun downward
until they reach the floor which prevents the unit from rolling. Sometimes the
legs even lift the front rollers off of the floor, tilting the unit backward
slightly. This is done so that the doors close by themselves.

I have used a 2 x 4 and/or a crowbar to take the pressure off of the legs
so that they can be spun upwards. Once they are up high enough, the front
wheels touch the floor and the unit can be easily rolled out of the enclosure.

It seems to be behaving better. Last night it didn't get very warm. I will have to look at the fridge side and see if anything is blocked off.

Look at both the fridge side and the freezer side to ensure all vents are clear.

Thanks for all the help on this one.

Steve