Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Cursitor Doom[_4_] Cursitor Doom[_4_] is offline

Default LM317 Votage Regulator Instability?

On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 10:35:52 +0000, Bruce Esquibel wrote:

If the current requirements are that low, why don't you use something
like the LM7812 instead of the 317?

They are far simpler to use, aren't as flakey as the 317 and about as
cheap.

Unless the supply the 317 is in is needed to be voltage adjustable or
high current (or higher than a LM78xx can produce), you'll save a lot of
hair pulling using the LM7812.

-bruce

It really doesn't need to be adjustable, but if I'm going to swap to a
different device I'd really rather get something with a bit more
'headroom' than these 40V max regs, since I'm inputting ~37V. I wasn't
aware that the 317 was regarded as flaky but bow to your superior
knowledge of the subject!