Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Switch a switch with wet hands

On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 2:33:24 PM UTC-4, Micky wrote:
I don't do this, but I have am AC fan with a remote switch. I put the
switch in the hot wire, and the neutral wire is 10 feet away. That
is, the hot wire comes to the switch and goes back to the fan's plug
and on to the fan where it does its work. The neutral wire goes
straight to the fan's plug.

I've been tempted to turn the switch on, or off, with wet hands, while
wearing slippers with soft, black soles (plastic, vinyl, rubber?) on a
carpeted floor, on a wood subfloor, while touching nothing else with
any of the rest of my body. Even were I to somehow trip, there is
nothing to touch but wood and sheetrock.

I'm trying to figure out how, even if my hands were dripping water,
soapy water that would conduct electricity, and the water made it into
the switch, as a contiguous wet area reaching from my fingers to the
metal contacts or stripped wire, I could get a shock, or killed.

And I can't see how. Since even though the wire is hot, I'm not
touching anything else. I've gotten lots of 110V shocks and iirc,
every time I touched a hot and something else. I've gotten one 2000v
shock from a color TV and I was being very careful and didn't notice
touching anything else, but I think I must have.

Let me see if I understand this...

You don't think that you'll get shocked/killed if you use the "remote switch"
with soaking wet, soap covered hands, but are still reluctant to try it just
in case you are wrong. Is that correct?

If so, here is a very simple solution:

https://d2pbmlo3fglvvr.cloudfront.ne...2KAswfo5oy.JPG

Keep getting your hands wetter and wetter, even going so far as standing
in a grounded bucket of water, until you trip the device. Once you know
the conditions under which you would have been shocked, back it off a notch.

QED