Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Large Garden Window over Small Bathroom Window

On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 1:49:33 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 1:34:36 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 2016-07-13 9:42 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 17:12:23 -0700, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

What do you think about [...] a large garden window outside?

http://i64.tinypic.com/2pq98y9.jpg

I had to look at the picture to see what you meant. I've never in my
life ever seen such a construct, not imagined such a thing.

I cannot see any 'pro'. 'Con's:

- More glass to break, clean, lose heat.
- Glass angled to break due to falling objects. (Hail, branches.)
- In the way of ladder when cleaning gutter, painting, etc.
- In the way if you need to dig close to house. (Bathroom drain.)
- In the way cutting grass, raking leaves, etc.
- Damage to house during install. (Ref: in-wall vent pipe & wires.)
- Damage to house if it works loose.
- Looks ugly from outside.
- Dangerous manouver in slippery tub for view better than current.

We have one in the kitchen, my wife has several plants and we also grow
some herbs in it. No gutters or anything to paint in the area, I am 6'5"
and can almost walk under it. No different to install vs a standard
window, and my neighbour actually likes it, seeing our plants in the
window, when she looks out hers.

Your install may have been no different vs. a standard window, but that wouldn't be the case
in Snuffy's situation. He is planning on using a garden window that is bigger than the
existing window. i.e. it will mounted (somehow) to the exterior wall, not mounted in the
window's RO.

The first question that comes to mind is what is the purpose of this
new garden window going to be?

ummm...a garden, perhaps?

Well, maybe. But somebody might want one for more light. One person's
idea of a garden is 3 potted plants, in which case, do you need a bit
window? Another person might think they are going to grow vegetables there.
IDK.

I can see putting one in that's the
same size as the existing window, but I don't see the added benefit
of having one hung on the outside that's larger. You can't easily get
to the area to the left and right, it's going to be harder to clean
the windows. I'd go with either one that fits or one that fits an
enlarged opening.

I'm not seeing the connection between the window's purpose and the
cleanabililty of the area to the left and right.

I'm not saying you're not justified in saying that, just that cleaning
that area is going to be hard regardless of the purpose.

My point was that with a larger window hung on outside, it's going to
be harder to clean the side areas than if the window is a normal type,
with the opening the size of the garden window. And that gets back to
what you're going to do with it, how big does it really need to be for that,
and what would you put into those side areas where you can't see it
from inside?

"and what would you put into those side areas where you can't see it
from inside"

Things that you want to see (or want others to see) from the outside?