Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Freezer question

On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 7:46:38 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I posted recently about our freezer having problems staying cold.

We have a side by side GE Profile Model PSHS6RGXCDSS

I don't really have a bench mark to compare its current functioning to because in the past I never paid attention to the temperature because it was working fine. But since I had some problems with the freezer getting too warm I have been watching it very closely now.

Here is what I am seeing.

If I set the temperature settings very cold (-6F and 34F) for the freezer and fridge it will get there eventually. Yesterday we were out all day and when I got home around 5 p.m. it was at that temperature.

But then after the doors have been opened it starts to rise and then continues to rise. It got up to 6F and 41F last night when I went to bed. The 41F for the fridge concerns me because from what I read bacteria can start to be a problem when it gets above 41F.

Then at night it gets down to the temperature I set for it. But it takes a long time. When I woke at 3:30 a.m. I took a look at it and it was at 4F and 37F. The when I woke for the day at 6:30 a.m. it was at -2 and 34 which is the temperature I had set for it.

Should it take this long to get back down to the set temperature?

The room is cool and is air conditioned.

Everything in the freezer is still nice and frozen and the ice cubes are fine. The ice pops still seem a little mushy to me.

I'm just curious about the length of time it is taking to get cold again. It seems to be having a hard time.

Thanks for any feedback.

Despite giving us some times and temps, what's missing is how long
the doors are open and then how long it takes to get back to the
set temp. I'd say if you open the fridge door for 10 secs to get
something, the fridge should be back to it's set temp in a hour or
two. It's also going to depend a lot on the thermal mass in the
fridge and freezer. If they are empty, opening the door will result
in a bigger temp rise and take longer to recover than if it's full.

It sounds like your fridge may be struggling. Coils clean? Any
air path/fans inside clear and working?