Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ripoff tire company / now: MIDAS

On 7/13/2016 7:49 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 7/13/2016 7:18 PM, Shade Tree Guy wrote:
On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 10:55:39 AM UTC-7, SBH wrote:
Many many moons ago I worked for a muffler brake shock shop which I will
withhold the name. This brake shop offered the "free" brake replacement
when the original work was done by the franchise. Whenever a customer
returned for brake replacements, we would inspect to confirm normal wear
and tear then advise accordingly. My manager told me I had to tell
customers they needed calipers or rotors or other misc parts, which was
causing the brake wear, in order to continue honoring the "free"
warranty. This also partook with other pats such as mufflers. A few of
the other guys were also trained for this practice. Needless to say, I
found other employment as soon as I could. I despise crooked people and
businesses.

Midas?

It's not as much of a secret as I thought.

I've talked to other folks. Same experience all around. Midas uses what
I call three level pricing. The phone price, the estimate price, and the
finish price. Each one doubles from there.

On the phone: Oh, sounds like $75.
Estimate: It's going to be $150.
Completed job: Needed more parts than we thought, that will be $300.

--
..
Christopher A. Young