Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oil Tank Question

Bob Eager wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Syke wrote:

My oil tank is: Length= 5ft, Height = 4ft, Width = 2ft. It holds 1100
litres My question is, how much oil is represented by 1 inch on a
dipstick?

https://google.co.uk/search?q=5+feet+*+2+feet+*+1+inch+in+litres

All so complicated. Assuming it's rectangular, it's 4 feet (48 inches)
high.

Well, I was trying to give the hint to the O/P that it was not really
difficult to get an answer

Thus 1 inch is 1/48th of its capacity - 1100 litres - thus it's 1100/48 =
22.9 lites.

I got the same "next level of approximation" a different way, multiply
by 1100/1132nds to allow for the net/gross volume, but answers to 1/10th
of a litre for a question expressed in feet seems over-precise; talking
to a neighbour the other night about a replacement radiator

Q: how big is the current one?
A: 700mm by 4 feet