Posted to alt.home.repair

Default broken piston rod

On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 23:43:29 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 22:09:23 -0700 (PDT), Deodiaus
wrote:

see
http://memphis.craigslist.org/grd/5678750036.html
I was thinking of building a backcast out of plaster on the outside or just
sand to keep it from melting away in case I get too hot. Then just heat it
up from the inside to reseal the hole.

If you're serious about this, you're wasting your time. Once you blow a
rod on a small engine, that engine is trash. Either buy a new engine, or
a short block and replace the top parts yourself.
Yes, a professional engine shop might be able to salvage what you have,
but it will be very costly and they are not going to repair the block,
they will just replace it, probably replace the crankshaft, as well as
the piston, rod, and so on. By the time they are done, it will likely
cost more than a short block or new engine.
That old block is nothing more than scrap metal to be melted down into
something new. Send it to a recycle center. You may even get a few bucks
for it.

Of course the easiest solution is to send the whole mower to a recycling
place and just buy a new lawn mower.....

Boy - the best asvice I've ever seen from our coloufull Bovine
Friend!!! Got it right dead on.