Bruce Lane

Default SmartUPS dead?

In article ,
nge says...

snippety

* Before I invest $100+ in new batteries, why should I think that
that'll fix this beast?

* Is the battery I already replaced dead now?

I have an idea of buying the batteries locally (near Tampa), then
returning them if the UPS fails to charge.

* Should I scrape together four car/motorcycle batteries, connect them
in series, and test the UPS with that?

* Is there anybody (locally, as it's too heavy to ship) who can check
out the brains of the UPS, to verify its operation?

The problem with APC UPS's is that, without a GOOD set of
batteries attached, they will not fire up at all.

I'd say you stand a good chance of resurrecting the thing by
installing new batteries. That is, by far, the most common failure with
any UPS.

HOWEVER -- you should know that there is some risk that the unit
may have other problems. Again, though, it's a Catch-22: You won't be
able to even test it without hooking up a good set of batteries.

Good luck.

(Known to some as Bruce Lane, ARS KC7GR, kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech
[d=o=t] calm
http://www.bluefeathertech.com
"If Salvador Dali had owned a computer, would it have been equipped with
surreal ports?"