Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Duffy[_5_] Mike Duffy[_5_] is offline

Default Gravel compaction ratio.

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 16:37:28 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

... Do you intend to install a concrete footer?

Yes, for the entire 5' * 3' base of a stairway (also will be the same
brand/style as the wall) as well as two 4-walled flower boxes, even
though 2 walls of each will be buried. My wife wants it that way, i.e. a
course of capstones all around each box instead of a 'drop-off' from the
sidewalk into the flowers. I know I will end up buying twice as much
bricks, but this way I can level the entire base for each flower box.
Otherwise, I would need to put other footers exactly the correct height
higher than the footers under the exposed walls in order to make the
last course match.

The concrete footers are 2' long, 15" wide, and mostly 2.5" thick. (For
about 9" to match the depth of a brick course, then tapers to 1.25" over
the other 6" of width.) I will use the thick ends to support the walls,
which will be 9" deep (3.5" height each course).

Should I use footers for the sidewalk parts as well? (Interlocking
paving bricks. No automobiles.) I'm thinking to try without, because I
can always lift out the paving tiles and dig out 2.5" of compacted
gravel to put in a layer of footers if the sidewalk ends up being too
uneven too quickly.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm