Kurtis Bahr

Default SmartUPS dead?

I have bought these from the school system in the same condition, replaced
the batteries and usually they have worked fine. I agree with your problem
though. You never know for sure as my success rate has been 90%, some were
really bad. If you can hook up any lead acid battery with the correct
voltage, if smaller current it just won't have the lasting power, and test
before spending the big dollars. If you bought it in 1996 then this would
be about time to buy batteries.

Kurtis

"Hactar" wrote in message
Hi. I have an APC SmartUPS 2000, which I got in about 1996. It had
been discarded because it was deemed "dead". (From what I hear, "dead"
UPSes can often be revived by replacement of batteries. True?) It
consists of two boxes, each about 7"W x 8"H x 37"D, and uses four 18Ah
sealed-lead-acid batteries in series, for a total of 48V DC. It's rated
at 2KVA/1.5KW out, 20A@120V in.

My father thinks (after testing parts of the circuit) that it's well and
truly dead, and new batteries won't bring it back, but he's been known
to be pessimistic. My friend (an EE grad from UF) thinks so also after
discussing the unit with me, and he hasn't been know to be pessimistic.

Without the batteries or load, the head end does nothing when I press
the "I" (as opposed to "O") button.

I replaced one battery in about 1997, but since the UPS was DOA to me,
haven't used it. The batteries have been disconnected from any
electronics since that time.

* Before I invest $100+ in new batteries, why should I think that
that'll fix this beast?

* Is the battery I already replaced dead now?

I have an idea of buying the batteries locally (near Tampa), then
returning them if the UPS fails to charge.

* Should I scrape together four car/motorcycle batteries, connect them
in series, and test the UPS with that?

* Is there anybody (locally, as it's too heavy to ship) who can check
out the brains of the UPS, to verify its operation?

--
-eben m home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
"God does not play dice" -- Einstein