Posted to alt.home.repair
cowabunga dude cowabunga dude is offline

Default Ripoff tire company

wrote:
On 7/13/2016 12:42 PM, cowabunga dude wrote:
Last summer I got four tires put on, less than 10,000 miles on them.
Right rear tire has slow leak. Took it to discount tire, not where I got
the tires, didn't want to drive 100 miles to get flat fixed.

Man said he needed to do safety inspection. He checked tires, mileage,
and came in telling me I need new tires and he can fix me right up. The
price he quoted was lower than what I spent last summer, but I had to
keep insisting, I don't need new tires, I just got these last summer. It
seemed like he was about to put on new tires whether I wanted them or
not. I didn't even want a price quote.

Finally he gave up.
It's crazy the way he was trying to push me to buy new tires when I
don't need any and don't want any.

I know he's probably been trained that way, but I don't like it.

Money, money, money, that's all they care about. Customer service comes
in fifth.

Many many moons ago I worked for a muffler brake shock shop which I will
withhold the name. This brake shop offered the "free" brake replacement
when the original work was done by the franchise. Whenever a customer
returned for brake replacements, we would inspect to confirm normal wear
and tear then advise accordingly. My manager told me I had to tell
customers they needed calipers or rotors or other misc parts, which was
causing the brake wear, in order to continue honoring the "free"
warranty. This also partook with other pats such as mufflers. A few of
the other guys were also trained for this practice. Needless to say, I
found other employment as soon as I could. I despise crooked people and
businesses.

At least they didn't charge for fixing the flat. They watched me typing on the phone so that might have made them think I was giving a bad review.

He touched each tire with his thumb and forefinger just to satisfy himself that he checked, then showed me on a chart how worn out my tires are, and why I need new ones.

I have a problem with impulse buying and almost said go ahead, even though it was just last summer I got new tires. The word "new" is appealing. "NEW". Doesn't that work make you feel good?

Oh well, now I need to go out and flush the radiator and put in new coolant. It's been 108 degrees here and running the air conditioner makes the radiator boil over.