gothika

Default replacing IDE DVD drive in APEX player

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:10:37 -0800,
(Stan) wrote:

I bought a used APEX 3201...it seems to have a thermal problem with the
DVD drive (DVS Korea DSL-710)...stops working after 5 minutes, has to
cool down before working again.

I'm thinking of replacing it with a Sony DVD-ROM drive, model DDU1612
(Office Max is clearing them out for $9.95).

Has anyone here done this? What are the steps involved besides
physically the drive? (I've already done this, but the new drive acts
as if it can't quite decode the signal - 1/3 of the picture consists
of colored blocks).

TIA,

Stan.

There's an apex user's site on the net.
do a google for it.
They have a really good discussion board for mods and such.
Seems to me when I was last there about a year ago everyone was having
problems with chips overheating on the video board as well as the dive
unit.
There were various heatsink fixes for it.
They can also point you to a dealer who sells aftermarket drives for
this brand.(I believe the link is pirhana.net for the dealer.
Picked up a drive for one of the 1000 models for just 19 bucks.