Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Passing UF Wire Through Shed Wall

On Tuesday, July 12, 2016 at 2:17:04 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 07/12/2016 12:14 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The fish tank will located "2 fence sections" away from the shed and right
up against the fence. I was planning on attaching an in-use receptacle
to the 4x4 nearest the tank and running the UF wire between the slats so
that it lies on top of the lower rail support.

Is this envisioned permanent? If so, I'm like gfretwell, go ahead and
string the conduit. Either way, I'd place it on the bottom, not the top
of the rail; while not likely, something falling can theoretically still
hit it on the top plus it'll be less visible (my primary reason,
personally, if it were mine to do).

I addressed the permanence in another post: not sure yet but I can readdress
the installation in the fall.

As far as visibility, that's not an issue at this point, at least not on
my side of the fence. ;-) SWMBO's plantings completely hide the lower rail
of the fence and therefore the wire also. The other side of the fence also
has some plantings, but not as many as on my side.

It seems to me that running the wire in between the slats makes it more
protected than buried. Is that not true/allowed?

Wouldn't know that I'd say "more", certainly different possible hazards.

Not positive on Code on this one, inside a living area I _think_ even
with the fence slats, if it were on the top side of support it'd need
the protection of at least a guard strip as it is (at least as I
envision it) still possible for some object to fall on it between the
vertical slats. That _may_ not be so; just seems like it would be to my
way o' thinkin'...

No argument, but whatever guard I might use at this time would need to be
as flexible as the wire. Stringing conduit or a rigid guard will require
the removal of at least one section of fence to allow for access for
anything rigid to be fed between the slats. Removing a section would be
better done in the fall when the plantings die back. The same "damage to
plantings" holds true for attempting to secure the wire to the underside
of the rail.

I'll take my chances for now and readdress the installation in the fall
when we'll probably move the tank inside.