Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Deoxt

On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 12:44:20 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

The Deoxit I bought a few days ago must not contain any of the oleic
acid.

It probably doesn't.

Not mentioned on the can. This is Deoxit D5. The can says it
protects surfaces so doubt this is a copper eating compound.

The problem here is the MSDS only lists ingredients that are deemed
hazardous. Oleic acid is food safe and might not be listed.
If you look on the can somewhere, you might find the product number.
Then look it up here to see what's inside:
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.18/category.291/.f
Don't be surprised if it says "proprietary ingredient" or something
similar. The SDS sheet is nearly useless.

Taking a wild guess, I blundered upon:
http://store.caig.com/core/media/media.nl?id=1902&c=ACCT113328&h=669fee694d58ba7465 c0&whence=
which offers:
PETROLEUM NAPHTHA 75%
DIFLUOROETHANE 20%
DeoxIT® D100L TRADE SECRET 5%
Oh well. That's probably the Deoxit product that Caig was reselling
back in the 1980's.

The directions say to spray and activate the knobs. Then give it a
short spray and wait 2 minutes before turning the equipment on. I guess
that the wait time is to make sure any thaing that burns has evaporated.
There is no mention of cleaning it off, but really should be left on the
contacts from the way I read it.

Find a piece of copper. Drip on some Deoxit. See if there's any
green colored corrosion. You may need a microscope to see it.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D