Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Passing UF Wire Through Shed Wall

On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 10:14:58 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Tuesday, July 12, 2016 at 12:35:16 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 09:14:41 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Tuesday, July 12, 2016 at 10:38:56 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 06:27:42 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I need to pass UF wire through a 3/8" wooden shed wall. Can I use a LB
conduit body to accomplish this?

http://i1.quinbyhardware.com/6556641.jpg

There will be no conduit inside or outside the shed, just the UF wire.
The area where the body will be mounted is protected by a wooden fence
with about a 4" gap between the shed and the fence.

The plan would be to bolt the conduit body to the outside 3/8" of the
shed wall with the rounded bolt head inside the body and the washer/nut
inside the shed. I would use silicon sealant around both the bolt hole
and the hole for the LB body. The wire would be pulled up into the body
from below.

A quick test shows that the conduit body "sleeve" will extend past the
inside surface of the wall material by a small amount.

Sure. No problem and like Ed says, protecting the wire going up the
outside with a piece of conduit is a good idea too. The code says it
"shall be protected where subject to physical damage". What are you
doing inside the shed?

The only thing I am doing inside the shed is picking up power for a "water
feature". chuckle

SWMBO found a 20 gallon fish tank on the curb, bought a submersible filter
and put the tank on a stand in one of her gardens. The goldfish will be
forthcoming. g

The shed was wired (with your help) a couple of years ago. There is a box mounted on the inside of the shed wall for a motion-activated exterior
light. Once the wire is inside the shed, picking up power from that box
is an easy task. (Lots of room) The incoming power to the shed is GFCI
protected.

As far as protecting the wire, the only way it can be physically damaged
would be if an animal chewed through it. There is no access between the
shed and the fence, just a 4" space. Enough for me to reach in and mount
the body, but that's about all. It'll be about 4' from the ground, so an
animal would need to climb the wall/fence to chew on it.

Running it through the conduit is also a way to secure the wire. I
assume you will be burying it once you get to the ground.
I think I would fish the wire through and then mount the conduit body
and conduit.
Put some duct seal or caulking in the end of the pipe that you bury.
Otherwise it will be an ant super highway.

Well, I wasn't planning on burying it. The fence in my yard is made of 8'
sections of board-on-board, similar to this, but with the posts on my side
of the fence:

http://rtfence.com/wp-content/upload.../12/wood12.jpg

The fish tank will located "2 fence sections" away from the shed and right
up against the fence. I was planning on attaching an in-use receptacle
to the 4x4 nearest the tank and running the UF wire between the slats so
that it lies on top of the lower rail support.

It seems to me that running the wire in between the slats makes it more
protected than buried. Is that not true/allowed?

It is OK as long as the UF is labeled U/V protected or words to that
effect. I think most is these days. I would use conduit but that may
just be me. ;-)