Posted to alt.home.repair
Micky[_3_] Micky[_3_] is offline

Default Weak freezer door gasket

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 05:33:08 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I noticed that the freezer door bounces open a bit when I close the fridge. It is also noticeably easier to open the door than the fridge side. So I am thinking that our problems are due to a weak gasket. It definitely does not have a strong pull anymore.

I realize it could also be a defrost timer or some other problem.

Does this sound like a weak gasket problem?

I've never heard of a weak gasket. The door stays closed because of
magnets, and they are unaffected by power failures, warmth, or coldth.
I think you had condensation and ice in your gasket and it's a bit
swollen, and if you let it thaw and drain, you'll be back to normal.

The ice might just be on the outside of the gasket, maybe in the
grooves in the top. That might not drain, you may have to soak most
of it up.