Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Deoxt

On Tuesday, July 12, 2016 at 12:44:28 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:

The Deoxit I bought a few days ago must not contain any of the oleic
acid. Not mentioned on the can. This is Deoxit D5. The can says it
protects surfaces so doubt this is a copper eating compound.

When I was working overseas in a country where all products were required to have all contents listed in clear terms, Cramolin Red had a paper label on it that stated: Ingredients: Oleic Acid 5% Petroleum hydrocarbons and propellants 95%. It also cost only about $4 for a 300 ml. spray can. Oleic acid has been around the metals cleaning, clock-making and fine machinery industries for well over 100 years and has been used primarily as a degreaser and oxide remover, primarily for those metals containing copper, tin or zinc.. Covers much of what we do here.

In the US, Caig once had a relationship with Cramolin - selling Cramolin's products packaged for US markets. That relationship failed. And - the story behind the Caig Company, DeOxit, Cramolin and Cramolin Red is fascinating and does not reflect well on Caig.

I will not use Caig's products. Full Stop.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA